Lime-Orange Caipirinha is a famous cocktail from Brazil now served all over the world. As a Brazilian, people often ask me if I like Caipirinha and if I happen to have a good recipe. The answer, of course is YES. My recipe is actually a twist on the traditional caipirinha which is made with lime, sugar and Brazilian cachaca.
I like to add fresh orange to the mix to make it a little special and balance some of the tartness of the lime. In Brazil, they often add a little pure passion-fruit juice for those who prefer their drink a little less tart. This Lime-Orange Caipirinha is a great cocktail to serve at at a barbecue. The Brazilians believe that it helps open up your appetite to eat red meat, and it is often served before a family meal at the churrascaria. You will also find this traditional Lime-Orange Caipirinha cocktail at a happy hour or just about any celebration. You don’t have to wait for a special occasion to enjoy this delicious anti-oxidant filled cocktail. Mix one up at the end of a busy day and relax Brazilian style!
Brazilian football is often referred to as ‘the beautiful game’ and Brazilians are said to live ‘the beautiful life’. So mix yourself up one of these traditional cocktails and conjure up some images of carnival, beautiful beaches, dancing, great food and great friends .
Love you all!
- 1 Ripe Orange
- 1 Ripe Lime
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Fine Sugar
- 4 Ounces Brazilian Cachaca or Vodka
- 10 Crushed Ice Cubes
- Wash Orange and Lime well.
- Roll the Lime and Orange on a clean counter or cutting board applying light pressure, This will help release the juice.
- Remove the ends of the Orange and Lime and cut into 1" wedges.
- Using a mortar and pestle, muddle the Orange and Lime with the sugar
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker
- Pour the mixture and the Cachaca over the ice and shake well.
- Pour and Serve!
Leave a Reply