The Strawberry Mint Caipirinha is my variation on a famous cocktail from Brazil now served all over the world. As a Brazilian I love Caipirinhas, and it is one of my favorite drinks on a warm and sunny day.
I am always experimenting and thought that since it’s berry season, I would put a little twist on this traditional beverage. I was thinking that something between a Mojito and a Caipirinha would be just about perfect and thus the Strawberry Mint Caipirinha was born.
In my typical style, this recipe is a variation on the traditional caipirinha which is made with lime, sugar and Brazilian Cachaca. I still use Cachaca but the strawberry and mint really take this drink to the next level!
Ok, so here is everything you need to prepare this summer crowd pleaser.
You can begin by chopping the mint and strawberries. Leave a couple nice slices on the side as a garnish. Then move to crushing the ice by whatever method you feel is best. If you have a crushed ice dispenser on your refrigerator that works just fine. Just to show a little effort, I did it the old fashion way with a mortar and pestle.
Once you have your ingredients ready to go, you can begin the muddling of the sugar, strawberry and mint. After that, take the muddled mixture and all remaining ingredients, put them into a cocktail shaker, and shake well. This will allow you to get a little exercise before you begin your party. Pour the mixture into a glass and sit back and relax!
I hope you enjoy this delicious drink and that it makes your summer just a little brighter.
Strawberry Mint Caipirinha
- 1 Cup of Fresh Strawberries cut into small cubes and strawberry slices for garnish
- 8 Fresh Mint leaves chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons of superfine sugar Depending on sweetness of strawberries
- 2 oz Cachaca or Vodka
- 1 Cup crushed Ice
- With a mortar and pestle, muddle the sugar, 2 lime leaves, and some of the strawberries together. Muddle enough strawberries to release their juice into the sugar leaving some of the strawberries pieces aside to add later.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with the ice. Pour in the muddled mixture, remaining strawberries, mint and the cachaca and shake well. Garnish the glasses with the strawberry slices and serve.