This Mixed Green Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Feta is a wonderful salad to have as a side or as wholesome meal.
I love salads. They are perfect when I’m in the mood for something a little lighter, or when I’m not in the mood to prepare an elaborate meal. I love the fact that you can just start adding ingredients and turn it into something unique. Add the right ingredients and you can transform your salad from a side dish into a complete meal.
The recipe for this Mixed Green Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Feta came about in precisely this way. One night, I just didn’t feel like cooking so I started to rummage through the fridge to see if I could put together a healthy meal. I started taking everything out that looked interesting, and the next thing I knew, I was eating this beautiful salad.
After making the salad, it was just a matter of creating an accompanying salad dressing which also came together by mixing some ingredients in my pantry. The rest, as they say, is history.
I make this Mixed Green Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Feta quite often. Sometimes I add grilled chicken or steak left over from the night before. It always delivers dinner in a flash.
If you are not a fan of feta cheese you could substitute with Blue or Gorgonzola cheese. If you don’t like pomegranate seeds or cannot find some at your local grocery store, you could substitute them with dried cranberries or raisins.
I hope this Mixed Green Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Feta satisfies your palate and your hunger as much as it does mine. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups loosely packed mixed greens
- 2 pears, washed, cored and sliced into eighths
- ½ cup candied walnuts halves
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup cubed feta cheese
- SALAD DRESSING:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, orange juice, honey, and sugar.
- While whisking, slowly add the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Add the greens to a salad bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad among 2 or 4 plates. Top with pear slices. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries and top with feta and walnut halves. Enjoy!