Authentic Tom Yum Goong Soup
Author: My Global Cuisine
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: Serves 2
- 2 cups of water or fish stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk - with the outermost leaf removed - sliced diagonally into 1 inch pieces
- 5 slices of galangal ginger about half inch each
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, sliced in half
- 2 TSP Thai Chili Paste
- 10 medium sized prawns, heads removed, peeled and deveined
- 1- 2 TBSP of fish sauce
- 2 TSP of sugar
- 3 TBSP of lime juice
- 1 cup straw mushrooms or any type of mushrooms- trim the stem off and cut into quarters
- 1 small tomato cut into quarters
- 2 TBSP of coconut milk
- 2 to 3 bird's eye chilies or more if you like it hot
- 1 TBSP of coriander leaves- cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 green onion cut into quarters
- - Pour stock into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- - Add the lemongrass, the galangal ginger, the kaffir lime leaves and the chilli paste, and allow to simmer between 1 and 2 minutes
- - Add the prawns, the fish sauce, the sugar, the lime juice, and simmer for two minutes.
- - Add the mushrooms, the tomato, the coconut milk, the bird's eye chilies and simmer for another minute
- - Add the coriander leaves or cilantro leaves, the green onions and turn off the heat.
- - Taste the soup and adjust the flavors. You may add more lime juice, fish sauce or chilies if needed. Taste and serve.