Brazilian Brigadeiros are chocolate truffles served at children’s birthday parties and at many other festivities. It’s a symbol of the Brazilian culinary!
Growing up, I couldn’t wait for my birthday to come because I knew it meant I was going to have Brazilian Brigadeiros and lots of them! We never heard of themed birthday parties, or ChuckECheese. Mom served small wonder bread sandwiches filled with cheese or shredded chicken, mini hot-dogs and made a birthday cake and lots of Brazilian Brigadeiros. We gathered together in a circle and played musical chairs. They were the best birthday parties ever! Simple, inexpensive, low stress, and memorable.
Until today, I still have wonderful memories of these times. Besides making them up for birthdays, Brazilian Brigadeiros are a simple treat that you can make anytime you feel like having something chocolatey and sweet! They are made from just a few ingredients that all have relatively long shelf lives so you can make these anytime the mood or occasion strikes. For me, Brazilian Brigadeiros are comfort sweets. Their taste is a combination of caramel and chocolate and they remind me of my childhood in Brazil. The beauty of these treats is that they are inexpensive and easy to prepare.
To make them, all you need to do is to combine the Sweetened Condensed Milk and the Unsweetened Cocoa in a sauce pan and simmer over low heat. Mix the ingredients together until thick and creamy being careful not to burn the mixture.
After combining the ingredients, let the mixture cool. Once cool, moisten your hands with a some soft unsalted butter and form into balls. Dip the balls into the chocolate sprinkles and place in small paper or foil cups. Place on a platter and serve.
This post is a special request from my daughter Juliana whose birthday is coming up in May. Love you baby cakes!
- 1 (14-ounce) (397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 TBSP of unsalted butter plus extra for rolling the brigadeiros
- 3 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup of chocolate sprinkles
- optional - mini paper cups
- - Place the sweetened condensed milk, the butter and the unsweetened cocoa into a sauce pan, mix it together and cook over low heat stirring constantly for about 10 minutes.
- - Once the chocolate mixture thickens and starts to separate from the bottom of the pan remove from the fire and let the mixture cool completely.
- - Grease the palm of your hands with the room temperature butter and roll about one TSP of the chocolate paste into little balls. Roll them into the chocolate sprinkles and place the brigadeiro balls inside mini paper cups. If you can't find mini paper cups you can just arrange the brigadeiros together on a nice platter and serve.